During the COVID-19 Pandemic, the St. Stephen’s Food Pantry is open for PICKUP by reservation only, M-TH, 11:30-1pm. Call 608.441.1123 to make your appointment, M-TH from 8 until 10.
About the Food Pantry
Families throughout Monona and the greater Madison area rely on the food provided by the St. Stephen’s Food Pantry. The pantry provides a four-day supply of food to about two dozen households each Monday to Thursday. Clients may visit the pantry once every two weeks. St. Stephen’s offers a ‘choice’ pantry, which means that clients do their own shopping, selecting only the items they will use. Choice honors our clients’ dignity and eliminates the waste of unused items.
Mountain of Food
Each year, St. Stephen’s congregation participates in the Mountain of Food food drive and fundraise to help support the Food Pantry and its clients. In 2019, we received donations that will allow us to purchase a staggering 751 cases of food.
The Food Pantry wishes to express its thanks to the congregation for its support, and to the over 60 volunteers who work so hard to make this ministry possible.
We look forward to building an even bigger Mountain of Food in 2020!
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, the St. Stephen’s Food Pantry is unable to accept donations of household items and clothing.
How to Provide Help
Remember the Food Pantry families when you shop for your own family. Donations of food, personal items, paper products, baby food, and diapers are gratefully received. Monetary donations are also needed to supplement donated items, and volunteers are vital to keeping the Pantry operating efficiently.
Consider donating some of your time to shop, stock shelves, prepare perishable food items for distribution or assist clients with the pantry shopping. To be a part of this ministry call the church office at (608) 222-1241.
There are many simple ways to help the St. Stephen’s Food Pantry.
- Click here to donate online using our secure banking service.
- Volunteers are needed to pick up day-old bakery and other items from area stores. It is a one-hour commitment. Contact Dick Benzine at 608.221.1241 x14 to learn more.
- Volunteers are needed to pick up produce donated at the Monona Farmers Market on Sundays. It is an approximately one-hour time commitment.
- Contact Dick Benzine at 608.221.1241 x14 to learn more.
- Donations of food and clothing can be brought in during church office hours, Monday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 2:00 pm. To make other arrangements, contact the office at 608.222.1241.
- Frequently, the Pantry is in need of egg cartons, plastic and paper grocery bags, and clean, clear-colored soda or water bottles (used to package detergent.) Please drop them off at the church office.
How to Receive Help
We receive client requests on a Food Pantry direct line, and cannot accommodate calls to the Church Office. Clients may call 608.441.1123 Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on the day they wish to shop. The pantry volunteers staff the phone between 8 and 10; calls to the pantry outside of that time OR after the pantry fills for the day may go unanswered. Shopping hours are 11:00 to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday each week.
Appointments are required; we regret that we cannot guarantee the ability to accommodate walk-ins.
Clients may come to the Pantry every 14 days.
Click here to email the food pantry.